Friday, September 22, 2006

We Will Miss You

"My daddy was my hero," she said. "He was always there for me when I needed him. He listened to me and taught me so many things, but most of all, he was fun. I know that Daddy had an important job. He was working to change the world so everyone would love wildlife like he did.

"I don't want Daddy's passion to ever end. I want to help endangered wildlife just like he did. I have the best daddy in the whole world, and I will miss him every day. When I see a crocodile I will always think of him, and I know that Daddy made this zoo so everyone could come and learn to love all the animals. Daddy made this place his whole life, and now it's our turn to help Daddy."

Those were the words of Bindi Irwin, the “Crocodile Hunter”, Steve Irwin’s 8 year old daughter, at his memorial held on Wednesday at Queensland’s Australian Zoo. Reading the article brought tears to my eyes and made his death become more of a reality. I haven’t mentioned Steve’s passing here before this because I just couldn’t fully accept it as fact.

Both Rick and I loved watching Steve Irwin for his enthusiasm, his humour and his ability to make us all understand animals a little more and we are deeply saddened. The animal kingdom has lost one of its greatest friends and Steve’s family has lost a beloved member. Farewell Steve Irwin, we will miss you! May your spirit and enthusiasm for the animal world live on through your family and everyone who has been touched by you!

No comments: