Wednesday, May 03, 2006

A Chorus

Here at Catalina Spa, our RV site is surrounded by Oleander shrubs and in those shrubs live a variety of birds. On either side of our "headboard" in the bedroom we have windows which we like to have open at night when the weather is cool enough that we have no need for the air-conditioner.

Through the course of the night, at some point we usually hear a pack of coyotes roaming through the nearby desert fields. Their yipping and howling lasts for just a few moments before we drop off to sleep again and we quite enjoy their "choir".

Every morning, before dawn, the birds start their morning songs and by the time we see the first hint of daylight, they are in full chorus. I wish I could say it was music to our ears, but there are so many and they are so loud, that we are always awakened by them. If it is still dark enough and there is the slightest chance that we can return to slumberland, the windows are quickly closed. Though it may sound like I am complaining, please know that I would sooner be disturbed from my sleep by songbirds, than by the sound of traffic going by or trains rumbling past, a more common downfall of RV parks.

1 comment:

A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

So true. I love to hear songbirds. Reminds me of growing up on the farm. I always slept with my window open (pretty much winter and summer).

Sandra