Sunday, May 07, 2006

Hooked


Okay, I am coming clean here…I am hooked.

When I was expecting my firstborn, 30+ years ago, I was a soap opera addict, watching one American soap after another from 11:30 till 4:00pm daily. Fortunately, by the time baby #2 came along 18 months later, I had no time to watch them anymore and my addiction ceased. What I hate about American soap operas is that all the characters are perfectly groomed, they never age, they morph into princesses and aliens and they get married dozens of times. But in those days I overlooked all of that and escaped into the fantasies, as ridiculous as they were.

In the past year, I have become hooked on Coronation Street, the British soap opera that has been on the air forever. Though just as much a make-believe world as its American counterparts, at least the characters age, are loaded with imperfections and remain human (besides I luuuuv the accents!). With our satellite receiver, we get Canadian programming and CS starts as early as 4:00 AM PST on Sunday mornings. (The CBC plays back all five of the episodes which air daily in the evening over 2 1/2 hours on Sunday mornings.) With our PVR, I can record an entire week’s worth of shows while I am sleeping and play them back, zipping through the annoying commercials, later at my leisure.

So there you have it, my sordid confession and besides, it doesn’t change who I am and it makes me feel closer to all my British and Scottish relatives!





2 comments:

A couple of newer paintings 2019 said...

If soap operas are supposed to be so realistic (LOL), why does no one watch TV in the afternoon?

I too used to be hooked on All My Children. I taped it while I was at work and watched when I got home. Now we don't watch TV in the afternoon but tend to watch more in the morning - Regis & Kelly, Tony Danza, The Price is Right.

Sandra

She Weevil said...

We were never allowed to watch CS when we were children and only ever got to watch it and other glories like Crossroads and Sale of the Century at my gran's or nana's houses when we were on holiday. I do go through phases when I watch things habitually but I really can't be bothered with any of the British ones: I find the characters overfeatured caricatures. Brookside used to be very good until it wasn't anymore and it's not on anymore. On the whole the only one I kind of keep up with at the mo is Neighbours. I realise they are overfeatured caricatures but of Australians not Brits; I think it makes a difference. I could, however, be delusional.