Saturday, May 06, 2006

My Love of Books

My love of reading was instilled when I was a little girl by my parents and my grandparents. My memory isn't clear about whether they read to me but I do remember loving learning to read when I was in school. My sister, 18 months older than me, would bring her books home from school and I would try to read them as well.

As an adult, my favourite books range from cookbooks to biographies and humour to mystery. As a teen I was an avid Stephen King fan and then I moved in to true crime authors like Ann Rule. Fortunately, as I have aged I have veered away from guts and gore and prefer history, self-help, well written novels and new age books.

There was a time in my life that I couldn't fall asleep without reading for at least 30 minutes a night and often I would still be reading for three hours or more (if the book was particularly riveting). No thanks to my vision changes from the process of aging, those three hour nighttime read-a-thons are in my past but I can still put a dent in a book in the daytime. Actually, it is for exactly that reason that I am writing this so late in the day, my nose was buried in a book, Memoirs of a Geisha, a great novel which I must get back to....

No comments: