Sunday, April 23, 2006

Emotions

My mother and I had a different mother/daughter relationship, sometimes as close as could be but more often at odds with each other. The past few months we mended our fences and became friends after 50 years of an on again, off again relationship.

As a young adult, once I moved away from home, every Sunday either I would call my parents or they would call me, just to check-in, to say hi and let each other know we were okay, no matter at what stage Mom and I were at in our relationship at the time.

When Dad got sick, we moved my folks into a little "granny flat" beside our house so I could look after him. Mom was pretty frail then and Dad was actually her primary care giver. I no longer needed to call them on Sundays because I saw them everyday.

After Dad died and Mom moved into the retirement home, I would still call her even once we were on the road. However, for the past eight months, Mom's hearing had deteriorated so much I could no longer call. She couldn't hear me. Today I realize just how much I miss that. It's crazy because I haven't been able to talk to her on the phone for months but just now I realize how much I wish I could....just one more time. Ow....I hurt.

No comments: