Friday, April 07, 2006

Metricated




My parents were both from England and after WW2, they immigrated to Canada where my dad joined the Canadian Armed Forces. Dad was a pilot and he requested postings in Europe so we lived in France, Belgium and Germany where we learned metric measurements. In the Canadian schools we were taught non-metric measurements until 1970 when Canada joined most of the rest of the world and became “metricated”. For my sister and me, it was an easy transition and to this day, I still think in both ways.


When I write on our website, I usually write temperatures in centigrade and distances and weights in miles and pounds. But since realizing that we have readers globally, I have started to show measurements in both “languages”. It would sure make my life easier if everyone went metric though!

No comments: